Content is loading...

Hide this page Easy read and translate

Home adaptations and moving house

  • Staying safe and accident prevention
Living Room Picture Cropped

Making your home or living arrangement work better for your child and family is important. There are lots of resources to help you understand what is available and to a solution that works best.

How the occupational therapy team can help

The Children's Occupational Therapy and Housing Team will help you in supporting your child or young person's day to day care needs within your home.

We will work together alongside our housing partners so that you and your child can access your home and that your home is a safe place to be.

Your child may already be known to the Occupational Therapy service. If not, a new referral can be made by contacting our service Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm.

Home adaptations

An occupational therapist will work with you and your child to look at all the possible options. This may include different equipment, minor adjustments to your home, moving home or adapting your home.

Moving House

Some families may find moving house is the best option to meet their child’s needs in the home.

Housing information


Understanding housing language

We understand some of the language used in this leaflet is rather complex and can be confusing. This is simply because this is the terminology used with legislation when discussing housing.

We have worked with a selection of families to create a further frequently asked questions to make it easier to understand.

New referrals

Cambridgeshire County Council’s SEND Specialist Housing Advice Service (0 years old to 25 years old) can offer advice, information, guidance and support to families who need to move because they have a child with SEND whose needs can’t be met in their current home.

This also applies to young people up to the age of 25 years old. The Occupational Therapist who makes the housing needs assessment can refer to this service if you are eligible.

Families and carers can also make direct contact with the SEND Specialist Housing Advice Service with questions about eligibility and for more information about how this service might be able to help by emailing

Last reviewed: 19 January, 2024

You must log in to save content

Click below to log in or create a new account


You must log in to save content

Click below to log in or create a new account